Eight weeks in, we are nearing the end of the second phase of our program where the startups have been concentrating on moving the ball forward on a key lead metric through tailored mentoring conversations.
Having spent the first two months on market validation and refining their MVPs, our founders are gearing up to start the third phase of the program during which all signs are on launching their ventures. Our launch phase will focus on building a solid investment thesis, preparing them for investor conversations and tailoring their pitch decks.
Spreadsheets, Sales Funnels, Customer Acquisition and Digital MarketingOur founders have stayed busy connecting with alumni, mentors and subject matter expertsto create realistic relationships to addressable markets with disciplined channel development. Stephanie Hepp and Mike Page of RunRate built real-time financial models for our startups. In week 5, Claire Herring of Blue Ocean Brain - a Lighthouse alum herself - provided deep insights into lead generation, followed by Brian Marks of Bonfire and Belle Isle Spirits who shared strategies on how to best approach customer acquisition. Andrew Miller of Workshop Digital wrapped up week 7 with his expertise in digital marketing.
Get your free tickets!
Lighthouse Labs Pitch-off & Awards Celebration
presented by Capital One
The Lighthouse Labs' Pitch Off & Awards Celebration presented by Capital One is the grand finale of this year's accelerator program, shining a spotlight on how six promising startups are disrupting their industries. All six teams will pitch their business to audience members, who will live-vote for the best startup. Using the results from the live audience, Capital One will present $15,000 in cash awards to the startups.
We welcome you to join the RVA startup community and Capital One to celebrate entrepreneurship & innovation!
Lighthouse Labs' Pitch off + Awards Celebration presented by Capital One
Thursday, November 16th at 4:00 PM - 6:30 PM
Capital One Campus, West Creek Commons
Details and Registration
One of the things we are proud of at Lighthouse is our ability to provide individual support to founders as challenges and opportunities emerge for the founders. Here are some of the highlights and key achievements of teams in batch V:
- AnswersNow relaunched their brand and website, and are in the process of signing up beta-testers for their MVP app. If you are, or know of, a caregiver or parent of children with autism, get them in touch with Adam or Jeff!
- Blueswipe is signing up new accounts (way to chase that key metric!) and were invited to pitch as one of twenty startups at TechBuzz on October 19th hosted by the Mid-Atlantic Venture Association in D.C.
- Pay Your Tuition (PYT) Funds is proud to announce that they launched their first financial support product that doesn't require a co-signer (learn more about them in their Startup Profile!).
- RoundTrip is continuing to grow the number of rides booked through their platform and has been experiencing a lot of traction in the unplanned B-2-C market. They might be expanding their service offering to individuals before the end of the year.
- Ivy Oaks Analytics is working the crowds at summer camp tradeshows to sign up more large-scale sites that want to be mosquito- and tick-free next summer.
- Indivigroup has been working hard to acquire new clients and deliver their proof of concept through case studies. If you know of organizations that are interested in crowdsourcing and solutions from their communities, get them in touch with Ruobing Yu and Joy Hua!
LIGHTHOUSE SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES
OCTOBER 13 - Ready for the Raise Investor Panel with Scott Tolleson, Larry Eiben and Cody Nystrom
OCTOBER 20 - Pitch Workshop led by Todd Nuckols
OCTOBER 27 - Internal Pitch Practice
NOVEMBER 2 - Final Pitch Practice
NOVEMBER 7 - Investor Roadshows to Raleigh presenting to Cofounder's Capital
NOVEMBER 15 - Investor Roadshow to Norfolk presenting to 757 Angels Group
NOVEMBER 16 - Pitch Off & Awards Celebration presented by Capital One (Sign up to attend)
- Startup Profiles: Learn more about the founders behind batch V's startups! First up Jeff Beck & Stacie Whisonant. More to come!
- How can UX Design Principles Help You Become a Better Entrepreneur?
- How to Handle Your Startupâ€™s Finances Like a Pro, Medium
- Facebook to build $1 billion data center in eastern Henrico County
- $2.5 million in funding opportunities available for Virginia-based startups
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS
- OCTOBER 12th - Managing Social Media Like a Pro, 804RVA
- OCTOBER 18th - B Corp Fall Happy Hour, Rivanna Natural Designs
- OCTOBER 18th - Art of Innovation. Creativity at Work Fundraiser for Art of Wheels
- OCTOBER 19th - rvatech/women conference, Science Museum of VA
- OCTOBER 25th - HYPE Happy Hour at Vasen Brewery, Chamber RVA
- NOVEMBER 9-11th - Rebelle Con
For a full list of events see Activation Capital.