Batch 5, and in some ways our unofficial 5th anniversary, is in the books! As we wrap up another year, team Lighthouse is once again overwhelmed by the generosity of our community. And as for me, I wanted to share a few words in this final letter of 2017 after yet another successful Lighthouse season.
- To our founders, one of the greatest and rewarding challenges for our team is supporting your vision and encouraging your success. Thank you for giving your passion and dedication to your work.
- To our mentors and advisors, you are the heart and soul of Lighthouse. We hope you benefit as do our founders and our team when we come together to invest in the lives of each other.
- To our community of investors, deciding to invest hard won earnings into another personâ€™s passion is indeed a daunting decision. But it is in the act of giving that we find ourselves rewarded as our impact spreads! Keep investing in founders, early and often.
- To our sponsors, Lighthouse simply would not exist without your always generous contributions of time, insight and participation.
- To our fans and supporters, it is our hope that you will continue to tweet, post, share and encourage those around you to join RVAâ€™s growing startup community! That you will find expressions through Lighthouse to demonstrate your support of innovation in our community.
- To our board, your leadership and guidance are fulfilling the promise of Lighthouse and we would not be able to reach for our own stars without your determined efforts.
- Finally, a special thank you to Joanna Pheil, our program manager, for your tireless contribution to Lighthouse and Anika Horn for helping us share the Lighthouse story every day. And to the families that surround our leadership team for patience and support during the stressful days of acceleration!
It is also with great excitement that we press on to the goals ahead. With generous support from Activation Capital and Council we will proudly use their foundational gift to expand the reach and scope of Lighthouse. In the works are additional batches per year along the pathway to expanding our impact in and beyond our region. Rest assured we are at the beginning of transformation as we collectively cheer the efforts of many across #StartupRVA and the #ActivationCapital to invest in the lives of founders and friends seeking to develop new products, markets and solutions that will serve our community in the years ahead.
Here is to the next 5 years of connecting, learning, growing and innovating through acceleration in RVA!
- Todd Nuckols, Executive Director
Capital One generously hosted our Pitch-Off and Award Celebration on their West Creek Campus on November 16th. After six pitches (see below), the audience voted for their favorite companies and Capital One awarded them with an additional gift:
- RoundTrip ($5,000)
- AnswersNow ($4,000)
- PYT Funds ($3,000), and
- Mesh Impact, BlueSwipe and Ivy Oaks Analytics ($1,000 each).
Relive Demo Day with us by watching this highlight video and make sure to check out all the pictures on Facebook!
AnswersNow empowers families dealing with autism by putting powerful, proven tools for learning and crisis intervention into the hands of caregivers. Stay in touch with Jeff via email and check out AnswersNow's Startup Profile.
Watch Jeff's pitch.
Pay Your Tuition (PYT) Funds bridges the financial gap between college juniors/seniors and their graduation through the last mile funding options of crowdfunding and alternative lending. Stay in touch withStacie via email and check out PYT's Startup Profile.
Watch Stacie's pitch.
RoundTrip transforms access to non-emergency medical transportation for providers and patients. As its 7th market, RoundTrip launched in Richmond this week. Stay in touch with Ankit via email and check out RoundTrip's Startup Profile.
Watch Ankit's pitch.
Mesh Impact (formerly Indivigroup) provides a platform that enables companies and public organizations to crowdsource ideas and solutions for pressing problems from their direct communities. Stay in touch with Ruobing and Joy via email and check out Mesh Impact's Startup Profile.
Watch Joy's pitch.
Blueswipe improves payment processing by making it simple and affordable for small business owners. Stay in touch with Tim via email and check out Blueswipe's Startup Profile.
Watch Tim's pitch.
Ivy Oaks Analytics sweeps large-scale outdoor recreation areas of ticks, mosquitoes and poison ivy through advanced, public health control. Stay in touch with Isaiah via email and check out Ivy Oaks Analytics' Startup Profile.
- Revolution announced they will back startups outside of Silicon Valley with a $150 million Rise of the Rest Seed Fund.
- Applications are now open for the 2018 AlphaLab Gear Hardware Cup, a pitch competition for early-stage physical product companies.
- First Search is live: The largest database of curated advice for building startups.
- RoundTrip: Tech transportation startup goes live in Richmond
- PYT Funds: How This Founder Is Solving the Tuition Debt Problem
- Lighthouse Labs receives $1 million grant over two years from Activation Capital
- Why Richmond Virginia Is Attracting Startups to Local Accelerators